Note about container
From Hall A Wiki
Revision as of 16:22, 28 November 2017 by Zwzhao (New page: * installation ** refer to [http://singularity.lbl.gov/install-linux installation instruction] and get the latest version 2.4 ** singularity-2.4 can run singularity-2.3 images and has many...)
- refer to installation instruction and get the latest version 2.4
- singularity-2.4 can run singularity-2.3 images and has many new features and we should use it instead of 2.3 whenever possible
- On redhat-kind linux, build an rpm first and install it.
- On windows and Mac, the official way is cumbersome and not good enough to run image with graphic. The better alternative is to use a linux virtual machine. (see below)
- the linux virtual machine to run singularity
- download and install virtualbox  (don't use vmware because it won't support running singularity image in shared folder
- download the linux virtual machine at https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocrkbcqBwO8gZcshjDAOAeh4ubOuQ
- import the virtual machine into virtualbox, set up a shared folder in setting and put the singularity image into the shared folder on host
- boot up the linux virtual machine and login with both "root" and user "user" password are "111111"
- singularity-2.4 is installed in the linux virtual machine already
- singularity at jlab
- jlab farm and ifarm has singularity-2.3.1 installed as default
- on ifarm1402, you can also test singularity-2.4 and singularity-2.3.2 by using module with "module load singularity-2.4" or "module load singularity-2.3.2" and "module rm singularity-2.4" or "module rm singularity-2.3.2". They are not on farm nodes, so we can't run jobs yet.
questions and comments should go to Zhiwen Zhao zwzhao at jlab.org