SoLID Engineering Integration and CAD
put all subsystems together to form SoLID in HallA, and take things apart for service and changing configuration
refer to the relevant section in SoLID pCDR
Whit's note on 2016/02/26
"The attached pdf will explain the design concept of how the endcap is assembled and show how we intend to gain access to the detectors. Design and engineering has asked all detector groups what space you will need for cabling, power and etc. We haven't received much feedback on this. For instance we understand you guys were studying whether the pmt's on the FA calorimeter needed to be located outside of the endcap or not.
Basically, the collaboration generated the dimensions for the endcap and then designed their detectors to use up ALL of the physical space as you might notice from the CAD model. My point is that everything is packed super tight in the space and not much thought was given for access. You guys seem to have made the most progress on incorporating mounting hardware into your design. Zhiwen even started looking at cable access and calculating the volume needed to get your cables out of the endcap. The HG Cherenkov has also taking some steps along this path.
Right now the process has you loading your sections onto the rails at the front of the endcap and rolling them to the back and attaching your cable bundles prior to rolling the EC to the final location at the rear. If you need to access them later we would have to roll the HG Cherenkov forward to give you access to the rear. The LG Cherenkov is mounted to back of the magnet and does not traverse backwards with the endcap.
My understanding was that you guys needed minimum access during the experiment. That if a few modules dropped out it was not a big deal and you would troubleshoot the problem if a long down was scheduled. I had envisioned some sort of custom scaffolding that goes between the endcap sections when they are separated to gain access. Something similar would be needed inside the endcap to give personnel access throughout to connect cables and etc.
Currently it looks like the back edge of your pmt's are parked right against the green back plate. If your group could determine what space you needed for cables (including min. bend radius) then we can make adjustments. I do not think it is possible for the diameter of the endcap to grow but it seems feasible (from a structural standpoint) to add some length to it.
To summarize: 1) We would be happy to work with you and the HG Cherenkov folks to reassess the available space. 2) It would be helpful to us if you could determine the space required for your cables in addition to the modules. 3) Zhiwen determined that axial opening for cables on the endcap cylinder would have the least impact on the magnetic field. Other options for openings exist like smaller round holes in the back plate. 4) Do you have an estimate for the number or frequency of maintenance intervals you will need? Keep in mind access may be limited by high levels of radiation! I have not seen an estimate from the collaboration on how hot this area will get. "
all files are at http://hallaweb.jlab.org/12GeV/SoLID/download/CAD
please send file to Zhiwen Zhao <firstname.lastname@example.org>
for the status of overall SoLID CAD, refer to slide 10 of http://hallaweb.jlab.org/12GeV/SoLID/meeting_coll/2016_01/Whit_SoLID_JAN_2016-SEAY.pdf
- v1.0, http://hallaweb.jlab.org/12GeV/SoLID/download/CAD/SoLID_CLEO_Mock_Up_V1_0.igs
- from "Whit Seay" <email@example.com> in 2015/09
- based on https://jlabsvn.jlab.org/svnroot/solid/solid_gemc/database_io/field/CLEOv8.am
- "This model has the two layers of iron, the endcap, the coil collars, the cryostat, and the support frame inside the cryostat. The magnet portion has dimensions based off the Cornell drawings. The endcap has dimensions based off of information gathered from the SoLID wiki page."
Heavy Gas Cherenkov (HGC)
- v1.0, http://hallaweb.jlab.org/12GeV/SoLID/download/CAD/HG_Cherenkov_Layout_201305_v1.0.STEP
- from "Gary Swift" <firstname.lastname@example.org> in 2013/05
- The PMT magnetic shield has be shortened by 15cm, The Detector has been shifted 10cm downstream to make room for LGC
- v2.0, http://hallaweb.jlab.org/12GeV/SoLID/download/CAD/HG_Cherenkov_Layout_201602_v2.0.STEP
- from "Gary Swift" <email@example.com> in 2016/02
- layout arrayed about the magnet CL axis, tank depth is 1m, readout is 16 MAPMTs
Electromagnetic Calorimeter (EC)
- v1.0, http://hallaweb.jlab.org/12GeV/SoLID/download/CAD/PVDIS_EC_201504_v1.0.stp
- from O'Connor, Thomas P. <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Guarino, Victor <email@example.com> in 2015/04